Documents for Age and Residency
Only a copy of your birth certificate or passport is acceptable to satisfy the age requirement. If you were not born in the United States, a photocopy of your passport or naturalization papers will establish that you meet the age requirement.
- TEEN CONTESTANTS must be at least 14 and no greater than 18 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
- MISS CONTESTANTS must be at least 18 and no greater than 28 years of age as of January 1, 2018.
You must satisfy at least one of the two following residency and documentation requirements:
- Submit at least two of the following types of bona-fide documents, at least one of which must be document type (a) through (e):
- Driver’s license
- Voter identification or registration card/or proof of voter history in the state
- Resident tax return from the most recent tax year
- Lease or deed for a dwelling in your name (evidencing occupancy of the dwelling as of May 1, 2017 or before)
- Employment documents in your name (Form W-2 and pay stubs only)
- My current school records (e.g., transcript or report cards with address)
- Telephone or utility bills in your name both current bill and bill dating on or before May 1, 2017.
- Bank or credit card statements in your name (both current statement and a statement dated May 1, 2017 or before)
- If you are under 16 years of age, only your school records will be sufficient to establish residency.
- You have resided in Virginia as a full time student at a school, college or university and will have completed one entire semester, trimester or summer session by December 31, 2017, and you will continue to reside in Virginia as a full time student at that same school, college or university and will continue to reside in Virginia, although you may have spent or be spending the summer in another State.
If this is your residence situation, you must submit bona-fide copies of your current school records (e.g., transcript or report cards).